Share This Article
Starting a digital marketing agency from the beginning with no experience is difficult but not impossible. There is a long process to follow to go from nothing to having an established digital marketing business with clients and employees.
It’s not easy but there is nothing stopping you from making it a reality and entering the exciting world of digital marketing as a service provider.
This guide to help you start your own digital marketing agency from scratch and possibly avoid the mistakes many have made, minimize your risks and maximize your chances of getting it right the first time.
Recommended for: freelancers and marketing and PR experts who want to build their own business.
How much can you earn: not a lot to start with, but if you’re already a freelancer and have a pretty good client base (and struggling to take on new work) you can build a successful business that makes thousands of dollars a month in profit, by outsourcing work to other, cheaper freelancers
Start-up costs: you’ll need website hosting, a website for your agency to start with – as your agency grows you’ll most likely need to invest considerably more in your business, but you can definitely start with just a website. Plus, you don’t need full-time employees, but you might consider getting a part-time virtual assistant from Fiverr to help you save time with all the admin tasks involved and focus instead on getting new clients for your new business
Starting an online agency sounds a lot more difficult than it actually is. However, although completely necessary, it’s a good idea to start first by offering these services as a freelancer just to get to know the business before you actually start it and even to help you get a head start on potential clients (if you offer a great service, then people will want to continue working with you).
Then, you can build an agency for pretty much any kind of digital services; for example:
- Social media marketing
- Search engine optimization
- Content marketing
- Online advertising
- Graphic design
- Web design and web development
- Or better yet, full-scale digital marketing services, comprising of multiple different types of services (after all, they’re all related to some extent – like web design and web development with SEO and social media and PR)
As you grow your agency, you might consider hiring full-time employees; but when you’re just starting out, you can simply outsource your projects to quality freelancers and pay them on a project basis.
Here are some quick tips to help you get started:
- Pick your agency’s niche and establish the services you’re going to offer: for example, content writing for blogs and articles, whitepapers, e-books and so on; social media marketing services for different social networks; etc.
- Build your agency website: you can save up on start-up costs by building your own website using a pro theme from ElegantThemes and get website hosting and a free domain name from Bluehost(with 67% off the first year of hosting!)
- Set up fees for your services: check out your competitors’ fees as well and start putting together fees for each service, as well as premium packages to sell to your clients, containing multiple services
- Find freelancers, virtual assistants and remote workers: you can easily use Fiverr to find a VA and good freelancers to work with (they have numerous freelancers in pretty much any digital marketing niche you can think of, from social media to advertising and to SEO)
- Leverage experienced salespeople: you can also use Fiverr to help you find salespeople than in turn, will find sales leads for your agency; they can, for example, source leads from you that you then reach out to or you can pay salespeople on a commission basis so that they find you clients and you pay them a commission from that customers’ fee.
Do I need a website?
Every successful online agency needs a website to generate money online and reach customers. Click below to get 1-click WordPress Installation, web hosting and domain registration with Bluehost, the #1 trusted WordPress hosting.
Need more ideas?
Explore more online business ideas. Check out our website business ideas or freelancing opportunities for more online business opportunities.